Pictured: Looking down Bannerman St, toward the old General Post Office and Strapp’s Pharmacy (right), ca. 1930. Built in the early 1910s, the old Post Office was a landmark building in downtown Harbour Grace, visible in many photographs from the first half of the twentieth century. Besides a mail and telegraph office, the grand building contained the Avalon Health Unit, the Harbour Grace Water Co., and police office.
The building was destroyed in the third ‘Great Fire’ of Harbour Grace on August 17, 1944.
Photo courtesy Jane Lynch.