The earliest customs house in Harbour Grace was reportedly in the vicinity of the Two Sisters rock formation, on the tip of Bears Cove.
The Water St location served as the customs house from at least the year 1800. George Kemp, MP for Poole, made a special request to the British Government that a customs house be erected in Carbonear for the benefit of the numerous importing and exporting firms in Conception Bay, as the distance to St. John’s proved inconvenient. The government granted this request around 1800, but decided the customs house would be in Harbour Grace, to the disgust of G. & J. Kemp, who did the most business in Conception Bay. This customs office was a wooden, one-storey, thatch-roofed structure.
In 1867 the Newfoundland Legislature passed the Supply Act, which granted $6,000 to construct a new customs house in Harbour Grace, in the same location. George Tapp built this new brick and slate-roofed structure for the government in 1870. The Gordon family were the building’s first inhabitants, living upstairs immediately after its completion.
Later, the Customs House was a tuberculosis clinic and an office for the Department of Social Services. Under the stewardship of the Conception Bay Museum Association, the building was designated a National Exhibition Centre in 1974 and a museum in 1975.
The Customs House is designated a municipal heritage site by the Town of Harbour Grace.
Pictured: (1) “Customs House, Harbour Grace,” by J. M. Ball. Ten Historic Towns: Heritage Architecture in Newfoundland (Newfoundland Historic Trust, 1978). (2) “Customs House,” by Alec Brown. Harbour Grace Heritage District Report (Heritage Foundation of NL, 1992).