Pictured: “Harbour Grace, 1841,” a panoramic sketch by William Gosse (signed W. Gosse). Landmarks in this picture include the first Roman Catholic Church in Harbour Grace, with its 100-foot steeple, built by Rev. Thomas Ewer (Yore); the community’s stone courthouse, a National Historic Site built in 1832; Garrison House (Hampshire Cottage), Registered Heritage Structure; the stone St. Paul’s Church, a Registered Heritage Structure built in 1835; the first Customs House, a wooden-thatch roofed structure; the Methodist parsonage; and the Point of Beach, with its attendant schooners in the harbour.
Gosse’s sketches can be found at the Provincial Archives (The Rooms) in St. John’s. Other sketches include Ship Cove (Port de Grave) and that of a Beothuk woman in 1841.
Print courtesy the Conception Bay Museum archives; donated by former MHA Hon. Haig Young, former Minister of Public Works and Transportation.
Download in high quality (1200 dpi) here: Google Drive