2 Jan. 1841: Magistrate’s Report: Dr. William Stiring’s son threatened by a man with a stick, who rushed out of the woods on Saddle Hill in late December.
4 Jan. 1709: First English account of the capture of St. John’s by the French:
“Letter from H.E. Harbargrace Island, 4 Jany 1709: ‘On the 21st December, the French from Placentia to the number of one hundred sixty came to the fort of St. John’s and there were scaling ladders got over the work without any assistance, only two small guns the sentry fired; Major Lloyd then asleep in his bed and after the French got into the fort, the inhabitants in the new fort arose in arms and would have taken the fort again from the French, but the soldiers could not get the keys out of the Major’s House; but when the French came he could find them; so from some of these men that made their escapes to those them; so from some of these men that made their escapes to those islands Harbargrace and Carboniere; the fort was actually sold to the French or else that number could have never taken it. They surrendered the Castle the next day being never an officer to command it.'”
5 Jan. 1832: Notice posted by sealers to meet at Saddle Hill and discuss grievances. More info: Perseverance: The Sealers’ Strike in Harbour Grace & Carbonear, 1932.
5 Jan. 1870: Elfreda Pike murdered on Mosquito Hill, Harbour Grace. More info: Murder at Mosquito Cove by Patrick J. Collins.
6 Jan. 1870: Body of Elfreda Pike discovered on Mosquito Hill, Harbour Grace.
7 Jan. 1834: Peter Downing hanged on Market House Hill, St. John’s, for the murders of Robert Crocker Bray, Samuel Comer Bray and Ellen Coombs. More info: Archival Moments / Gibbet Hill: Unfinished Justice by Patrick J. Collins.
9 Jan. 1832: Meeting convened at Saddle Hill between striking sealers of Harbour Grace and Carbonear. 2,000-3,000 men are there with fifes. The men christen Saddle Hill “Liberty Hill.” More info: Perseverance: The Sealers’ Strike in Harbour Grace & Carbonear, 1932.
10 Jan. 2006: Bennett’s Lane Roman Catholic Cemetery designated a Municipal Heritage Site. More info: Bennett’s Lane Roman Catholic Cemetery.
12 Jan. 1860: Gas House on LeMarchant St destroyed by fire.
16 Jan. 1924: Presbyterians in Harbour Grace discuss the question of cooperation with the Methodist congregation there but vote against it. More info: A History of the Presbyterian Church in Newfoundland by Wilfred A. Moncrieff.
18 Jan. 1880: Sir Richard Squires born at Harbour Grace. More info: Dictionary of Canadian Biography.
22 Jan. 1852: Barque Rothesay first launches at Harbour Grace. More info: Profile: Michael Condon Kearney and the Rothesay.
24 Jan. 1885: The first privately owned rink in Harbour Grace opens at the junction of Harvey St and Cochrane St. It was 117 feet in length and 53 feet in width. The property was owned by Daniel J. Green, a prominent businessman who was a coal dealer, merchant and sealer, whose business premises were at 137 Water St.
25 Jan. 1697: Pierre Le Moyne D’Iberville takes three settlers and a “Trembladaise religionnaire” prisoner at Harbour Grace. The “Trembladaise religionnaire” was presumably a religious man from La Tremblade, a small Protestant fishing port on the Avert Peninsula, in the estuary of the River Sendre, near Rochefort. These men were all likely Huguenots, whose fate would have been precarious under the capture of these Catholic men. More info: Father Baudoin’s War by Allan T. Williams.
27 Jan. 1864: Ridley & Sons ship 6,100 quintals of codfish on board the Spanish brig Amelia, one of the largest cargoes ever shipped from Harbour Grace.
27 Jan. 1877: Samuel Gordon, owner of Gordon Lodge, dies.
28 Jan. 1697: D’Iberville burns Harbour Grace; there were fourteen families there, with many cattle in their barns. More info: Father Baudoin’s War by Allan T. Williams.
28 Jan. 1905: Fourth Methodist church opened and dedicated by Rev. James Pincock.
29 Jan. 1857: Meeting at Temperance Hall to petition House of Assembly to erect a lighthouse on “Baccaloo” (presumably Baccalieu Island).